Football Season is Back!
Be Responsible During Social Gatherings This Season
It's another Purple Thursday! Tune in tonight at 8:00PM to watch the Baltimore Ravens take down the Carolina Panthers. Get together with your friends to watch the game, enjoy some delicious food and drinks, and plan your fantasy draft picks. Arthur Murray wrote a great article about hosting responsible football viewing parties and we here at Rosenkilde & Associates want you to keep his suggestions in mind this football season:
If you are having friends or family over to watch the game, it is important to know about social host liability. Social host liability is a legal doctrine that states if you serve alcohol to your guests, you may be responsible for what they do once they leave your home. Keeping this in mind, a few quick precautions could save you and your friends a lot of heartache:
- Collect car keys at the beginning of the gathering
- Stop serving alcohol 1-2 hours before guests plan to leave
- Serving food helps guests fill up, leading to them drinking less
- Don't allow for guests to play drinking games, they often encourage binge drinking
- As a host, it would be wise to stay sober
- If you don't feel it isafe for your guest to drive home, offer to call them a cab or drive them home
The majority of homeowner's policies do not cover social host liability. Don't wait until it's too late to find out what your policy covers. Contact us before you host a party, we would be happy to help in anyway that we can! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (800)-564-0169 / (410)-833-7666.