Did you know that over 75 million dollars in property damage occurs each year due to outdoor grilling accidents? In fact, outdoor grilling accidents account for over 140 injuries, and 8,300 fires annually. Be smart this grilling season, protect yourself by following these simple tips:
- Make sure your grill is on a non-flammable and stable surface.
- Establish a five foot "kid-free" zone around your grill.
- Keep your grill at least 10 feet away from other buildings, railings, or fences.
- Never add flammable liquids to the fire.
- Do not grill under low hanging branches.
- Remove grease buildup to prevent a flash fire.
By following these easy tips, your cookout is sure to be a success! Be smart, be safe, and enjoy grilling with your friends and family this Mother's Day weekend!