Summer is in full swing, the days are longer, weather is hotter, and many of you are getting ready to go your annual vacations. Before packing your bags, take a moment to review the following safety tips to ensure your home is protected while you are away.
- Make arrangements to have a friend or neighbor check on your house each day.
- Stop your mail, or have a friend or neighbor pick it up for you.
- Be careful posting on social media that you are going to be out of town. This can make burglars aware of where you are and how long you will be gone for.
- Unplug all appliances.
- Check for any leaks and fix them.
- Turn furnace and hot water heaters down. Set your heater at approximately 50 degrees to ensure pipes and appliances don’t freeze. But if you have pets and they are going to be in the house, set it closer to 72 degrees.
- If you have pets, make arrangements for their comfort and safety: either board them or have a friend come over daily to care for them.
- Lower your blinds and close your curtains so people cannot view the inside of your home.
- Leave a light or two on so the house doesn’t appear deserted at night.
- If possible, leave an outdoor light on at night to deter burglars from trying to break in.
By following the tips listed above, you can rest assured your home will be safe while you are away. We wish you safe travels and hope you have a fun and relaxing vacation this summer!